Representing the Injured since 1926
Injured? Call 800-689-7066

Should I call the police if I get in a parking lot accident?

You are driving through a California parking lot when all of a sudden you are struck by another vehicle. In the immediate aftermath, you are not certain what to do. If you got into an accident while driving on the road, you would call the police to file a report. But a parking lot is a different story. There, you are on private property, not a public street. So should you call the police if you get into a parking lot accident? Actually, it is very wise to do so.

A piece in the U.S. News and World Report advises motorists to call the police following a parking lot accident. For one thing, calling in the police means you can file a formal police report with them. This is vital in the event you or the other motorist or anyone involved in the accident sustained an injury. If you don't have a police report filed, the other driver may come along later and sue you, and all you have is your word against the word of the other driver.

However, parking lot accidents are not a high priority for the police if they do not involve bodily injury or if the damage to the vehicles is too minor. They may not show up if you sustained an impact to your bumper and only received a dent for your pains. Also, in the event your area is being hit with bad weather, like high wind, heavy downpours or flooding, the police may forego sending a unit to your location.

On the other hand, reporting a parking lot accident can still benefit you even if the police do not come out to meet you. The authorities can still advise you on your next step. They may tell you to file a report online, or to proceed to a police station to make the report there. Anything you can do to produce a formal accident report can only help when it comes time to contact the insurance company of the other driver for damages.

This article is intended to inform the reader about parking lot accidents and is not to be taken as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us To Schedule A Free Consultation

Call us toll free at 800-689-7066 or use the email contact form to tell us about the circumstances of your injury or wrongful death case. We offer a free consultation and handle all FELA, FRSA and personal injury litigation matters on a contingency-fee basis. No fees unless we help you recover financial damages in a settlement or trial verdict.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email us for response

Our locations

350 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza
4th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612

Toll Free: 800-689-7066
Fax: 510-465-7023
Map & Directions

700 North Brand Blvd.
Suite 860
Glendale, CA 91203

Toll Free: 800-689-7066
Fax: 323-669-8549
Map & Directions