Hildebrand McLeod & Nelson LLP - Hildebrand McLeod & Nelson LLP
Representing Plaintiffs Since 1926

Call To Speak With An Attorney

Important COVID19 Update: We know this is a stressful time for many, so we want to reassure you HMN is taking every measure to ensure the welfare of our staff and the continuity of our service to our clients. HMN continues to work to ensure that our valued staff, clients and families are following all recommendations provided by our local, state and national leadership. We are actively communicating with the courts to reschedule any proceedings and will continue to inform our clients of those developments. HMN remains available at any time via phone calls, emails and video chat. We are here for you no matter what unexpected life changes occur and that remains true today.

We also wish to express our utmost gratitude to the healthcare professionals working tirelessly to care for our community. Our thoughts are with all those impacted by the Coronavirus.

Image from an actual HMN case, reproduced with permission

Who is responsible for repairing damaged sidewalks?

| Sep 11, 2017 | Premises Liability |

If you live in the city of Oakland, California, you may wonder who is responsible for damage to the sidewalk in front of your home. According to the City of Oakland, local and state laws assign responsibility for the upkeep of sidewalks to you, the property owner. This means if the sidewalk in front of your home is damaged in any way, you must fix it. If someone were to fall and get injured because of the damaged sidewalk, he or she could sue you for medical bills and other associated costs. Essentially, the sidewalk becomes part of your premises liability.

It is important to note there is an exception to this general rule. If a city-owned tree causes damage to the sidewalk, then the city will become responsible for its repair. However, in order for this exception to be evoked, the tree must be an “official city tree.” What is and what is not an official tree is determined by the city.

If your sidewalk is damaged, you may receive a notice from a city inspector that you must repair it within two weeks or at least begin repairs within this time. You can do the repairs yourself or hire a contractor. In some cases, you may need a permit to do the work. You may also hire a contractor from the city, who will bill you for the work when it is complete. Note that if you do not make the repairs within the time limit, the city will set up a contractor to do the repairs and bill you for it. You may have the chance to speak at a hearing regarding any objections you have to the repairs before this is done. This information is only intended to educate and should not be interpreted as legal advice.