Hildebrand McLeod & Nelson LLP

Representing Plaintiffs Since 1926

Call To Speak With An Attorney 800-689-7066

Important COVID19 Update: We know this is a stressful time for many, so we want to reassure you HMN is taking every measure to ensure the welfare of our staff and the continuity of our service to our clients. HMN continues to work to ensure that our valued staff, clients and families are following all recommendations provided by our local, state and national leadership. We are actively communicating with the courts to reschedule any proceedings and will continue to inform our clients of those developments. HMN remains available at any time via phone calls, emails and video chat. We are here for you no matter what unexpected life changes occur and that remains true today.

We also wish to express our utmost gratitude to the healthcare professionals working tirelessly to care for our community. Our thoughts are with all those impacted by the Coronavirus.

How do I submit FELA injury claims?

If you suffer an injury at work in California that is covered under the Federal Employers' Liability Act, you must file a claim using the proper forms and within the time limit to qualify for coverage. It is up to you to understand your rights and know what to do to file a claim. The Department of Labor states you must use Form CA-1 or CA-2 to file your initial FELA claim.

Within ten days, you also must provide medical evidence of your injuries and current medical situation. You will also need to file Form OWCP-1500 for medical service payment reimbursement. You should file your claim as soon as possible, but you must file it within 30 days of the date you were injured to meet FELA time requirements. If you cannot file the form because you are physically unable to due to the injury, someone can file it on your behalf, such as your spouse or a legal representative. You may need to file Form CA-7 if you will be unable to come back to work, but the time limits for this may be longer than the initial claim, especially if your medical provider is not sure of the extent of your injury or how it will affect you long-term.

Which initial form you use depends on your type of injury. Catastrophic injuries are reported on a CA-1. Occupational diseases are reported on CA-2. Each type of injury is treated differently and requires different forms. The OWCP-1500 and CA-7 are used for CA-1 injuries. This information is only intended to educate and should not be interpreted as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Schedule A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


350 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza 4th Floor Oakland, CA 94612 Oakland Law Office Map

700 North Brand Blvd. Suite 860 Glendale, CA 91203 Map & Directions